Tenure-track Position in Philosophy
Underwood International College, Yonsei University, Korea
The Underwood International College (UIC) of Yonsei University, Korea invites applications for a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the Yonsei International Campus in Songdo, located within the greater Seoul metropolitan region. The areas of specialization for the position are normative ethics and applied ethics. Priority will be given to candidates with a demonstrated research and teaching record in bioethics and environmental ethics. The areas of competence for the position are meta-ethics, political philosophy, and legal philosophy. An ability and willingness to teach Critical Reasoning is also required. Candidates should have a firm commitment to undergraduate liberal arts education. Experience with innovative teaching methods is desirable.
Teaching responsibilities are 6 credit-hours (2 classes) per semester. The starting date is September 1, 2018. Compensation includes a competitive salary, health insurance and other benefits, subsidized housing (for up to 6 years), a relocation package, and start-up research funds. Yonsei University's Underwood International College is a highly competitive program at South Korea's most prestigious private university, and combines the intimate atmosphere and low student-faculty ratio of a liberal arts college with the resources of a major research university. All instruction is in English, and the student body represents over 70 different countries. As part of Yonsei University’s continuing effort to increase faculty diversity, we are only accepting applications from non-Korean citizens.
Due to university regulations concerning transparency in the hiring process, interested applicants must apply online at and also mail copies of the required documents listed below to the following address by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered for evaluation.
Mr. Janghwan Sohn
Faculty Recruitment Administration
Underwood International College, Yonsei University
# 301, Daewoo Annex Hall, 50 Yonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu,
Seoul 03722, Republic of Korea
1. A letter of application, C.V., and sample syllabi.
2. 2x Online Application Form and 1x Religious Background (available for print online).
3. A USB containing the Ph.D. Dissertation.
4. 2x List of publications.
* These must follow the University’s designated form.
* Major publications (up to three) should be written below “Main Achievements”.
5. A USB containing the list of publications and the summary of publications
6. Two recommendation letters (from two or more professors in the same program or field).
* The university in which the applicant is applying to and department must be clearly indicated with the full name of the applicant.
* It must be sealed and signed on the sealed line or completely sealed.
7. Originals or copies of research work after March, 2014
* Research work that is expected to be published is acceptable, if provided together with documentary evidence.
8. Diplomas (or Certificate of Graduation) & Transcripts from B.A., M.A. and Ph.D.
* Copies are allowed, but original documents must be submitted upon request.
9. Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information.
Application Deadline: February 16, 2018.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to look at our website at . If you have not heard from us by March 16, 2018, then please assume that you have not been short-listed at this stage of the application process. Short-listed candidates will be asked to schedule a video-conferencing interview. For further questions about the position, please contact Prof. Nikolaj Jang Lee Linding Pedersen (firstname.lastname@example.org).